Draco Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Alastor

RPG and epic encounters

Hello everyone, I think is pertinent that i present myself. 
I'm Alastor Guzman Head of RPG and game design so for rules regarding the system, IPs etc feel free to tag me and i'll answer your questions. 
So as i am writing the different epic encounters I come to you backers to ask 
What do you expect of them?  We will have a tease soon but what do you expect from them. 
The idea is like a boss fight from God of war or Legend of zelda with different points to attack and not just Hitpoints pinatas 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Alastor said:

The idea is like a boss fight from God of war or Legend of zelda with different points to attack and not just Hitpoints pinatas 

This! 

Speaking from a casual player's point of view, what I like about Zelda especially is that each boss is very unique in the way they fight. Some are damage dealers, some are trickier or faster, etc. I think it would be awesome if each dragon had their own quirks according to their story/personality like using intelligence over strength or vice-versa, or being more careful, or having tricks up their sleeves. One reference that I love is Raishan, from Critical Role - she was a dragon who fought more like a wizard than a dragon when compared to others in the show, and was a lot more careful as well.

Having different ways to attack/deal damage would be just as cool as well (as much as it'd pain me to hit those beautiful creatures 😂)!

13 hours ago, Alastor said:

Hello everyone, I think is pertinent that i present myself. 
I'm Alastor Guzman Head of RPG and game design so for rules regarding the system, IPs etc feel free to tag me and i'll answer your questions. 
So as i am writing the different epic encounters I come to you backers to ask 
What do you expect of them?  We will have a tease soon but what do you expect from them. 

I like the idea of being able to disable some attacks and moves by hitting key points. Like hitting the neck of the dragon might reduce the damage their breath attack dose or causing a miss fire hurting the dragon. Damaging their wings to stop them from flying or moving as far. Also having reactions that happen when player enrage the dragon to the point they go berserk, another idea is if the dragon is surrounded by players on all sides they can do a tail spin attack to counter them and make room or by flapping their wings to make gusts of wind to knocking down players.

The coolest idea I can think of is having terrain that the dragon and players can use against each other. makes me think of the hobbit film when they are fighting smaug and are using the things around them to trap hurt and avoid him. because of the huge size of the dragons just normal human attacks will not be enough to defeat them. (unless we have a massive army handy) and even then I think it would be hard:)

25 minutes ago, madmaxthe7th said:

I like the idea of being able to disable some attacks and moves by hitting key points. Like hitting the neck of the dragon might reduce the damage their breath attack dose or causing a miss fire hurting the dragon. Damaging their wings to stop them from flying or moving as far. Also having reactions that happen when player enrage the dragon to the point they go berserk...

Oooh yeah! This is pretty cool too! I think GURPS does that, there are some point that are harder to hit specifically but they might disable appendices and blind enemies! And playing with their personalities for reactions sound really fun too...!

28 minutes ago, madmaxthe7th said:

The coolest idea I can think of is having terrain that the dragon and players can use against each other. makes me think of the hobbit film when they are fighting smaug and are using the things around them to trap hurt and avoid him. because of the huge size of the dragons just normal human attacks will not be enough to defeat them. (unless we have a massive army handy) and even then I think it would be hard:)

Yeah!! I wonder how much actual damage an arrow could possible ever do to a dragon... using surroundings could be amazing. 

All of this ideas are being considered, is good to know we are on the right way. As a tease. 
The fight with Bastherox is like being in the midddle of a hurricane because of its weather aspect, during the fight you have to find ways to distract him, or otherwhise refocus his attention so yu can climb and try to attack, he is incredible resistant to damage but has a few specific weakness that you have to find out first that will deal massive damage to him 

• Like 2

I was envisioning how I would have my current party encounter Kuxcoatl, and I was thinking somehow he would send them on to find some sort of item/device to appease his curiosity, and along the way through the adventure give them some way to booby-trap the thing he sent them looking for. The cursed item wouldn't kill the dragon, just make him vulnerable, and somehow let the party do some type of damage to him that would banish him from their plane. (since I have so little to work with right now, the adventurers are surely going to encounter him again and likely be pulled to his plane somehow). The other option for the party is just to seek to appease him and somehow garner some gift from him- which would trigger other great wyrms to somehow have their interest pulled to them sparking another encounter. 

Something else that came to mind was making an actual battle similar in token to a JRPG where they battle just a part of the dragon whilst he is distracted by some other event going on, and somehow disabling it, either via interactions with the environment or just by attrition over a number of turns. 

It would be great if there was a reaction table, when players engage the dragons there are key terms that will trigger a prepared immersive response from the dragon, written by the dragon designers to to aid the game master.  

On 4/29/2019 at 12:14 AM, Charles said:

It would be great if there was a reaction table, when players engage the dragons there are key terms that will trigger a prepared immersive response from the dragon, written by the dragon designers to to aid the game master.  

One of our main writers , Raquel is doing the different conversations of the dragons so the GM has an aid on how will they respond for example when players destroy one of Nixis eggs of power.